the Esterbrook mine, 4 mining claims were established General B.
"Ginny" Johnston, Tommy Barnes, Lyman B. Cooper, John
"Jack" Foxton, and M.B.O. Rutherford. Sold to Esterbrook Mining
Company on 7/1/1897 for $10,000 and incorporated 8/31/1900 with a capital
stock of $100,000.
Foxton was appointed mine superintendent.
Foxton with A.R. Kelly of Queens County NY created the Esterbrook
Post Office and were the first 2 postmasters.
In September 1907 the Esterbrook Mining Company was sold to Kelly
and 2 New England partners for $39,000 and was resold a month later to the
Boston-Wyoming Copper Company of Tie Siding, Wyoming, for reported
John Beverly Foxton liked to relate this story to show the business
acumen of the Foxton Gentlemen.
FOXTON IS CALLED BY DEATH
the end came to Jack Foxton Monday noon and with his passing Converse
county lost a splendid citizen. Death followed a long period of illness,
it having been six and a half years since he was stricken with the malady
that made him an invalid all that time.
Foxton was a real pioneer.
Not only in length of residence here, but because he possessed that
enterprising spirit that ever sought new fields in the development of the
He had faith in the mineral resources of this section and was one
of the organizers and officers of the Douglas Oil Fields Company, the
pioneer organization that operated in Brenning Basin.
He was greatly interested in copper mining in the Esterbrook
district and was one of the organizers of the company and manager of the
Esterbrook mine, which is the most pretentious effort yet made to develop
our copper deposits. For nearly a quarter of a century he was United
Not until illness caused a slackening of his activity did he halt
in his efforts to further the interests of his community. He
was of that most desirable type, a good citizen and a valuable one.
Foxton was born at Fettercairn, Kincardinshire, in the Scottish Highlands,
November 30, 1866, the son of Rev. G.F.H. Foxton, an Episcopal clergyman.
He was educated at Trinity College, Stratford-on-Avon, England.
Upon leaving school he served an apprenticeship at Napier's in
Glasgow, the largest ship building plant in the world.
In 1889 he came to America and to Wyoming.
In 1892 he purchased the ranch on Mill creek, which has grown into
one of the best cattle ranches in this section.
Mr Foxton, in addition to his other activities, has continued in
the cattle business, in which he was associated with his brother, Harry.
Miss Clara Foxton, a sister lived with them on the Mill creek
ranch. Two other brothers survive, George L. of Glendo and Fred W. of
services were held this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at Christ Episcopal
church, conducted by the rector, Rev. E.P. Baker.
Pallbearers were T.C. Rowley, W.H. Bollin, C.W. Nylen, A.W. Kenyon,
Charles Reid and Ross Norcross. Burial was in the Douglas cemetery.