|George Lardner Foxton was born in
1863 in Fettercairn, Kincardine, Scotland, on Sir William Gladstone's
estate where his father, Rev. GFH Foxton was Vicar.
About 1871, the family moved to Dawsmere, Lincolnshire.
He married Annie Eliza Richardson in 1888 in
Grace Episcopal Church, New York. Annie, her father Thomas
Richardson and Rev. GFH Foxton travelled to New York on board the Cunard
Steam Ship Co. Ltd. RMS Etruria, leaving Liverpool on June 23, 1888.
Rev. Foxton performed the marriage ceremony in New York.
George and Annie had five children:-
- George Hubert James Foxton, born in 1889 in
Douglas, Wyoming, and died in 1969 in Kansas City, Kansas.
- Marjorie Roberts Foxton , born in 1892 in
Cheyenne, Wyoming, and died in 1971 in Casper, Wyoming.
- Richard Hardman Foxton, born in 1895 in
- John Beverley Foxton, born in 1897 at Douglas,
Wyoming. He served in WW1 and was injured in France. He died in 1997
in Casper, Wyoming.
- Douglas Lardner Foxton, born in 1900 in
George Lardner Foxton died in 1940 in Glendo, Wyoming.
Flier advertising the sale of the Old Horseshoe Ranch after George Foxton's
STAGE STATION RANCH
The ranch mentioned is one of the finest in Wyoming,
is located on Horseshoe Creek, at the site of the famous Horseshoe
Creek, at the site of the famous Horseshoe Stage Station made mention in
"Parkman's Oregon Trail" written in 1835 and in General Charles
King's works and other early day writers.
It was here that General John C. Fremont and his command camped on
his first expedition as well as most of the early day explorers of the
The ranch consists of 2600 acres of which
1400 is deeded and 1200 leased, 245 acres of the deeded land is under
irrigation with ample water rights. The
buildings consist of a a nine-room house in new condition, large barn,
granaries, garage, sheds and corrals and other out-buildings.
In addition to the running water there are wells and tanks and an
abundance of trees and shrubbery.
The location is on the Yellowstone Highway
but two miles from the little town of Glendo with light, power and
telephone lines crossing the place. This
ranch produces upwards of 400 tons of feed and the best of grain and root
The price is $30,000 with a down payment of
$12,000 of the balance $11,000 is in government loans drawing 4 and 5 per
cent interest over a long term of years, and the rest of the owners equity
may be handled in like manner at 6 per cent interest.
This would make an ideal dude ranch as there
is trout fishing and big game hunting on the place and is near Laramie
Peak and some of the wildest scenery in the Rocky Mountain region which
together with its historical environment would have a real fascination for
the modern tourist.
DICK FOXTON, Administrator
Estate of George L. Foxton
George and his brother Fred were the first to come to
America, coming from a long line of Vicars he was to
follow into the ministry also but wanted the adventure and
opportunities to be found in the American West.
They arrived in Cheyenne and his son Jack told the story that they
arrived and saw 6 men hanging across the street and realized they were in
a wild country and almost turned back.
Within a year they went to Converse County, George worked on the
Harry Pollard ranch, Fred moved on to Buffalo where he worked for the 76
outfit. By 1885 George had
homesteaded on Indian Creek south of Douglas, Jack Foxton joined his
brothers in 1885. On 7/5/1888
George and Annie were married at Grace Church New York, New York, Mr
Foxton performed the ceremony and Annies' father, Mr Richardson was also in attendance, they had traveled from
England with Annie for the ceremony.
They honeymooned at Clifton House, Niagara Falls, New York.
They were followed shortly by Harry and Clara Foxton, Georges other
brother and sister. Harry, Jack and Clara lived on the Mill Creek Ranch, none of
George, along with his brothers, Harry, Jack and Fred built
the Christ Episcopal Church in Douglas, Wyoming.
GEORGE FOXTON, EARLY DAY PIONEER, DIED LAST FRIDAY
First Entered Wyoming in1884; Was Successful
George Foxton, 77, well known stockman of this section,
Wyoming pioneer of 56 years standing, passed away at his ranch home by the
side of the highway, two miles south of Glendo last Friday evening about 6
o'clock. He died suddenly of
a heart attack.
George Foxton was the last survivor of four brothers and
two sisters who came to the United States and to Converse county from
their native land of Scotland.
He was born near Aberdeen, Scotland on April 16, 1863, the
son of George Frederick Hardman and Clara Roberts Foxton.
Receiving his early schooling in his native country, he then moved
with his parents across the boundary into England where he attended
college and served an apprenticeship with a large engineering firm.
He followed the trade a number of years both in England and
At the age of 21-in 1884-he and a brother Fred, came to the
United States, arriving in Cheyenne that summer.
Before the year was over George was in what is now Converse county,
working at the ranch of Chas. A.Pollard on La Bonte creek, south of
Douglas. He worked on a number of ranches in this area until about 1890
when he homesteaded a tract of ranch land in the La Bonte valley on Wilson
Creek, 23 miles south of Douglas.
This was his home until about 23 year sago, when he sold
out to A.W. Kenyon and purchased the present Foxton place near Glendo.
He was united in marriage to Miss Anna E. Richardson in
1888. She passed away in
1921. In the late 80's and
early 90's George and Fred were joined here by two brothers and two
sisters, all of which in addition to Fred, preceded George in death.
They were Jack and Harry Foxton and Mary and Clara Foxton, the
latter passing on in April of this year.
Surviving are a daughter, Mrs Marjorie Lewin of Casper;
four sons, George of Kansas City, Kan., Douglas of Kansas City, Mo., Jack
of Casper and Richard who lived with his father at the ranch.
Surviving also are three grandchildren, Betty and Jackie Foxton and
Freda Sheldon, and a sister-in-law, Mrs Fred Foxton of Douglas.
Funeral services were held at Christ Episcopal Church
Monday afternoon, with the Rector Rev. Frank Myers in charge. All the
children were present at the services as well as many friends from the
Glendo and La Bonte area. Interment
was in Douglas Park Cemetery.